DIRECTORATE: SUBSISTENCE FARMING
The Directorate’s mandate is to facilitate the development of subsistence producers through the provision of implements and infrastructure. To also provide national frameworks to promote the sustainable households and national food production by improving production systems of subsistence producers in the agriculture, forestry and fishery sector to achieve food security and sustainable livelihoods.
The purpose of the Directorate is to:
- Provide policy guidelines for the attainment of both national and household food security,
- Set norms and standards for viable subsistence farming sector in South Africa,
- Provide programmes for support and graduation to the subsistence producers,
- Monitor and evaluate policies and programmes,
- Co-ordinate activities that are cross cutting with other entities.
- Develop and manage subsistence producers database,
- Co-ordinate on-farm research of subsistence production systems,
- Facilitate the design and planning of household food security programmes,
- Establish and maintain national food security information management systems.
Clients of the Directorate
The clients of the Directorate Subsistence Farming include the following:
- Provincial Departments of Agriculture,
- Subsistence Farmers,
- Social Cluster Departments,
- Directorates/Functional Units within the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries,
- Role players in the civil society
- International organisations [i.e. FAO, AU, SADC, WFP, G20 etc]
Mr. Mr. Molatelo Mamadi
Director: Subsistence Farming
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
20 Steve Biko Street,
Private Bag X250
Tel: (012) 319 7331
Fax: (012) 319 6669
Cel: (084) 511 7545
The Directorate Subsistence Farming comprises of the following Sub-Directorates:
- POLICY ANALYSIS AND DEVELOPMENT UNIT
KEY RESULT AREA
- Provide national Food Security Policy Framework, Norms and Standards,
- Co-ordinate the promotion and implementation of Food Security policies on regional, national, provincial and local government level,
- Support on going review and updating of relevant national policies,
- Formulate and administer Food Security Legislation.
- SPECIAL FOOD SECURITY PROGRAMME UNIT
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Coordinate and Support the development and implementation of Food Security programmes,
- Monitoring and evaluation of subsistence producers supported.
- Undertake feasibility studies on identified sites to implement Food Security projects.
- Secretariat of Special Programmes for Food Security.
- Maintain Database of subsistence producers.
- INFORMATION MANAGEMENT UNIT
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Enhance co-ordination of Food Insecurity and Vulnerability Information Systems,
- Co-ordinate the review, generation and update of Food Security Information.
- Develop and maintain Subsistence Farming Information Systems.