To provide national leadership and support to plant production sector in South Africa that will enable it to play a meaningful role in ensuring food security, economic development, and poverty alleviation. This is done through the development, promotion and co-ordination of the appropriate regulatory frameworks and practices.
A united, prosperous and sustainable plant production sector.
Effectively develop, implement and monitor national legislation that will increase productivity, profitability, and competitiveness of the plant production sector through :
• Developing, promulgating and promoting national policies to support sustainable plant quality and production.
• Developing and promoting implementation programmes to improve crop production through capacity development.
• Ensuring effective regulation and monitoring of compliance to National regulatory and policy frameworks.
• Assessing the impact of plant production systems/programmes.
• Rendering advisory services on crop production matters.
The Directorate administers the following Act on behalf of the Minister for Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries:
• The Plant Improvement Act. 1976 (Act No.53 of 1976)
- Team work: Maximum participation, respect and co-operation
- Integrity: Display high levels of work ethic
- Commitment: Taking ownership and accountability for decisions and actions that need to be taken
- Service Excellence: Efficient and effective delivery of knowledge and information to key stakeholders
- Transparency: Continuously interact with all stakeholder in a courteous and open manner